How to Keep That Carved Pumpkin Fresh!
Carving a pumpkin is a lot of work! Preserve your masterpiece and enjoy it longer with just an extra step.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Slather Vaseline on the carved parts of your pumpkin to keep it from drying out and to help prevent mold from growing. Wear a rubber glove for this project!
- Give your pumpkin a bath in 1 tsp of bleach per gallon of water. Let it soak for a few hours and spin it every now and then. The water helps hydrate the pumpkin and the bleach kills bacteria that promotes mold.
- There's a preservative that you can buy called "Pumpkin Fresh".
- Cooking oils like coconut or vegetable oil work, reapply as needed.
- The best kept secret in your garage for keeping your pumpkin fresh is WD-40! The mineral oil will prevent your pumpkins from drying out.