‘The Lion King’ Is Now the Biggest Animated Movie In History
Yes, it is good to be the king.
It’s no surprise that the remake of The Lion King, one of Disney’s most beloved properties, became a hit unto itself. But the sheer magnitude of its success is still pretty impressive. Recently, 2019’s The Lion King even passed Frozen to become the biggest animated movie worldwide in history. (Yes, the movie features very lifelike animals, and it is kind of a Disney “live-action” remake a la Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast. But c’mon; those talking lions were made in a computer.)
Here’s the current 11-20 on the all-time worldwide box office chart, courtesy Box Office Mojo. (There are no animated movies in the Top 10 worldwide all-time, a list that currently includes four Avengers movies, Avatar, Titanic, Jurassic World, Furious 7, Black Panther, and The Force Awakens.)
11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - $1.341 billion
12. The Lion King (2019) - $1.337 billion
13. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - $1.332 billion
14. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - $1.309 billion
15. Frozen - $1.276.5 billion
16. Beauty and the Beast (2017) - $1.263 billion
17. Incredibles 2 - $1.242 billion
18. The Fate of the Furious - $1.236 billion
19. Iron Man 3 - $1.214 billion
20. Minions - $1.159 billion
Yes, Minions made more money in theaters than Captain America: Civil War, The Dark Knight Rises, and every Transformers movie in history. Of course, Frozen could still have the last laugh in this scenario. The sequel, Frozen II, opens in theaters this fall and could easily top The Lion King on this list. It’s got to be the most anticipated animated movie ... well, since The Lion King.
Gallery — Every Disney Live-Action Remake, Ranked: